head honcho - "A Place For Jazz"
1. Bessie Smith "Complete Columbia Collection"
- Not only the work of a master but accompanied by some of the best musicians of the era (including Benny Goodman for crying out loud).
2. Count Basie "Roulette Collection"
- 'Nuff said.
3. Any early Irakere Album with Chucho, Paquito and Cachao
- Afro-Cuban Jazz at its (then) finest. Or Batakumbele (folklyric Afro-Cuban improv from Puerto Rico)
4. Bill Evans Trio "Collection"
- A master pianist and composer
5. Stan Getz & Kenny Barron "People Time"
- Live duets from Copenhagen.
5a. Charles Mingus "Pithecanthropus Erectus"